Cho Oyu and Beyond ...

Cho Oyu climb for a cause is an awareness and fund-raising campaign aimed to help provide much needed education to our often neglected indigenous children in the remote parts of the country. The climb objective is to set a new altitude record, an attempt of the 6th highest mt & one of the peaks in the death zone. This event intends to bridge the education gap, and hope we provide our indigenous children a better future -- safe and away from a possible 'death zone'.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hello from Nepal

Hello, just got back to Kathmandu.

I did a short acclimatization trek/climb with 4 other Filipinos in Langtang province, all were now back safe in Kathmandu, and they will soon leave for Manila. 3 of us attempted to climb Yala Peak (5500m/18400ft), and we're happy to share that 2 of us made it to the summit of Yala Peak. I was with another UPMountaineer, his first taste of alpine mountaineering. Unfortunately, the 3rd member got sick in basecamp (mild AMS) and wasn't able to join us in the attempt. Aug28 8:30am, Romi Garduch and Jonjon "LA" Villareal made it to the top of Yala peak, it might be the first filipino cilmb of that peak (but so what haha).
I'm still in kathmandu and will leave for Tibet Sep3, to tackle the primary trip objective - - Cho Oyu. My sub-group (total 14 split by 'kitchen sub-group') has only 4 members, me included. 1 Australian, 1 S.African, and i think 1 German -- very diversed/mixed group.

So far, everything seems to be ok. No worry setting in yet for the big climb ahead :)
maybe because the memory of our interesting Yala climb is still fresh on my mind... that last 5 minutes of rock scrambling on the slippery and unstable knife-ridge of the summit of Yala (w/o safety ropes), with 1000m vertical fall potential on both sides of the ridge; those leaps of faith over several crevasses (again w/out ropes hehe); and few tricky rock climbing moves over unstable rock formations - what else could I ask for in a climbing adventure hehe..

I am hoping my team will get a Sat-fon so I can do regular updates. The next 2 weeks will be our acclimatization stage, until we reach our Advanced Basecamp (ABC) at around 19,000ft. Then 3rd or 4th week of September (weather-permitting) we'll be at the high camps ready for the Summit bid. Worst case, my next update will be Oct9 (when we get back in Kathmandu).

So wish us luck, and don't forget to pledge or donate for Cartwheel ;)
Cheers!
Romi

2 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger Anton said...

Congrats for the Yala Climb! I do hope Ching and John is OK with their trek. Keep on posting on your blog, Romi!

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on climbing Yala Peak - it was great to read this blog because I too am interested in heading up Yala this early July, and I have found it impossible to read about real travellers experiences on this!

Could I possibly bother you for more information about this? I will already be in Langtang (volunteering) and will have 2-2.5 weeks spare before I have to fly out of Kathmandu. Any tips you have would be great - my email is sandra021@hotmail.com. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home